Sunday, June 15, 2008

Amtrak


Okay so this week a group of us moms thought it would be a great idea to take a day trip on the train to a little town called Hanford. There is a cute ice cream place there called Superior Dairy and a fun court yard for the kids to play in. We ventured out with high hopes at around 9:00 a.m., but whoever thought seven woman could handle 15 kids on a packed Amtrak must of been a little loco!!! Don't get me wrong - things went actually very well, but the moms were definitely pooped by the end. We started out with a race to the train that arrived early then a mad dash to find seats on an already packed train! The kids were so excited jumping up and down looking out the windows at all of the cows and trees and cows!After the train ride we walked over to the court yard for the kids to play. Ashlee climbed on an old firetruck and got to pull the bell! They got bored quickly (no play equipment) so some of us ran back to the McDonalds we spotted (I have been to McDonalds more times than I care to admit since Ashlee reached age!) thinking there would be a play place. Sadly no playland was found so the kids turned the seating area into their own version! We headed back to the courtyard and then over to the Dairy. The kids loved the ice cream and ate with glee. Back at the courtyard the kids made up games of run around the tree and chase each other with sticks while the moms sat on the grass asking each every 2 minutes "Is it time to catch the train yet??" Finally it was time and we headed back to the station only to have to wait for a delayed train. As we cleared out the waiting area (don't forget how loud 15 kids can be!) we all waited anxiously for the choo choo. The ride home was fairly uneventful and I really must give a shout out to all of the lovely passengers from our trip. Most people were so nice and helpful to us all. They were willing to move to allow us to sit together with our children and they put up with the endless screams for milk and home and food and just whatever! Another shout out goes to my friend Angie. Ashlee just loves to hang out with Zach and so the entire trip she was basically attached to him at the hip. If he was in the stroller she was walking next to it. If he was by mom she was next to him. No matter where he went she was there. Angie already has 3 kids so I added one more to her little load. I definitely owe her a plate of brownies or something like that. The best part was when I finally reached home around 4:00 in the afternoon both kids fell instantly asleep and where out for 2 hours!! I told Jed about the late nap and then informed him that he would be up with them as I gleefully went to bed at 9:30! He is such a good sport!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun is that!! I totaly forgot about Superior Dairy. Their shakes with wendy's fries are the best. I do miss Hanford sometimes.

Anna said...

How much fun! You guys are sooo brave! ahahaha I cant believe how big Ashlee is looking these days! I cant wait to see you guys!!!

Smith Family- Puerto Rico Style said...

Val- you look so pretty in the picture!pmaxsa

Angie said...

It was a lot of fun, I don't know why you would consider doing it again so soon. I wasn't complaining about Ashlee, it was fun for the kids...however, I never turn down a plate of brownies. Ha Ha

Josh and Lauren said...

What a day huh?! I bet you guys truely were exhausted, but I'm sure it was worth it to see the kids have that much fun with their friends. And Val- I add my comments as well that you look so great in that pic!! Ashlee is so cute- looks just like her mama! :)
I sure hope you can still squeeze in the trip up this way...I can't wait to see you and the kids.