Halloween here in Puerto Rico was a very new experience for our little ones. The kiddos have had a fun few days with activities at school for Ashlee and a ward party on Saturday night. For the first time I was asked to help with the ward party and I have to say I have an entirely new appreciation for all of the wonderful woman who have been planning these events. Wow a lot of work and a lot of stress!! We had a great turn out as most of the wards here do not have parties so we had a lot of visitors from other wards. The kids got to play games and do the typical trunk-or-treat. With our little ward here the kids came home with buckets of candy from that night. I actually let them go around the parking lot twice. It was so fun to see them so excited. With where we live my kids don't get to see a lot of the church friends except at church. We live about 30 - 40 min from them, without traffic. So tonight was actually Halloween. Jed and I had asked around and were told that yes the kids can trick or treat. We decided to stay in our little neighborhood to let them have some fun. Well....I made them eat dinner and daddy actually came home slightly early to be able to take them out. So at 6 I started to get them dressed. We noticed there weren't any trick or treaters. We waited until 6:30 and then headed out. There was not a soul on the streets. We went to our neighbors and they were nice to our kids, but were a little odd when they rang the door bell. We headed up to a neighbor that had decorations and were basicly told we were a bit early. With major negotiating we head back to the house to wait it out. Finally at about 7:30 kids started heading out...crazy!!!! We headed out and met another neighbor. She was super nice and had a little girl Ashlee's age. We ended up forming a little group with a bunch of neighbors and proceeded down the street...at the first house I figured out why we were so odd. Three of the boys walked up to the door and started dancing and singing...I don't know the exact words but the basic jest is " happy halloween give me treats, or money, but please no peanuts" Ashlee and Hyrum were a bit amazed by this ritual. The funniest thing is a little later Ashlee and Hyrum went up to a house by themselves they just kind of stood there. The guy came out and said just a minute. He ran inside and came out with a dollar!!!! He said he didn't have any candy so he had to give them money..toooo funny!!!
I took Cole back and Jed took the other two out. Then he came back with Hyrum but Ashlee stayed with the neighbor girl and her mom. All the sudden I heard thunder and lightening. A huge rainstorm hit. All of the trick or treaters ran for cover. I drove around looking for Ashlee and all I saw were people hiding in garages, under the mailboxes, in the alcoves. It didn't last long and Ash made it home fine. They both had a terrific time and I think really enjoyed there first Halloween here.
1 comment:
Wow, money for Halloween? That would save me the trouble of tossing all of the candy the kids pick over.
I cannot believe how big Ashlee and Hyrum have gotten. I didn't have the chance to meet little Cole but he's huge too!
It sounds like you're enjoying Puerto Rico. Are the kids learning Spanish? Do they teach it in school? Just curious because two of our closest friends are from PR.
Looking forward to more posts and pictures!
-Tiff
Post a Comment